- A little pain never hurt anyone.
- A verbal contract isn't worth the paper
it's written on. -Samuel Goldwyn
- After they got rid of capital punishment, they had to hang twice as
many people as before.
- Also, avoid awkward or affected alliteration.
- Always be sincere, even when you don??t mean it. -Irene Peter
- An empty cab drove up and Sarah Bernhardt got out. -Arthur Baer,
American comic and columnist
- An Irishman is never at peace except when he??s fighting.
- And don't start sentences with a
- And faith unfaithful kept him falsely true.-Alfred Lord Tennyson
- As famous as the unknown soldier.
- Avoid trendy locutions that sound flaky.
- Christ was born in 4 B.C.
- Cum tacent, clamant. When they are silent, they shout. -Cicero
- Do not put statements in the negative form.
- Everyone writes on the walls except me. -Said to be graffiti seen in
- Evil isn't all bad.
- Gentlemen, I want you to know that I am not always right, but I am
never wrong. -Samuel Goldwyn
- Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history that man can
never learn anything from history. -George Bernard Shaw
- His honour rooted in dishonour stood,
- Honk if you are against noise pollution!
- I always avoid prophesying beforehand because it is much better to
prophesy after the event has already taken place. -Winston Churchill
- I am a deeply superficial person. -Andy Warhol
- I can resist everything but temptation. -Mark Twain
- I disagree with unanimity.
- I distinctly remember forgetting that. -Clara Barton
- I don't think anyone should write their
autobiography until after they're dead. -Samuel Goldwyn
- I marvel at the strength of human weakness.
- I must follow the people. Am I not their leader? -Benjamin Disraeli
- I never liked you, and I always will. -Samuel Goldwyn
- I never put on a pair of shoes until I've
worn them five years. -Samuel Goldwyn
- I tripped over a hole that was sticking up out of the ground.
- If any word is improper at the end of a sentence, a linking verb is.
- If I could drop dead right now, I'd be the
happiest man alive! -Samuel Goldwyn
- If Roosevelt were alive, he'd turn over in
his grave. -Samuel Goldwyn
- If you fall and break your legs, don't come
running to me. -Samuel Goldwyn
- If you reread your work, you will find on rereading that a great
deal of repetition can be avoided by rereading and editing.
- Include me out. -Samuel Goldwyn
- It isn't an optical illusion. It just looks
- It's a step forward although there was no
progress. -Hosni Murbarak
- It's more than magnificent-it's mediocre. -Samuel Goldwyn
- I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
- I'll give you a definite maybe. -Samuel
- I'm not going to say, I told you so.?
- I'm proud of my humility.
- Last, but not least, avoid cliche's like the
- Live within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so. -Josh
- May I ask a question?
- Monotheism is a gift from the gods.
- Most bacteria have the decency to be microscopic. Epulopiscium
fishelsoni is not among them. The newly identified one-celled
macro-microorganism is a full .5 mm long, large enough to be seen with
the naked eye. Described in the current Nature, It is a million times as
massive as a typical bacterium.??-Time, page 25, March 29, 1993
- Never use a long word when a diminutive one will do.
- Never, ever use repetitive redundancies.
- No one goes to that restaurant anymore-it's
always too crowded. (attributed to Yogi Berra)
- Of course I can keep secrets. It's the
people I tell them to that can't keep them.
- Our comedies are not to be laughed at. -Samuel Goldwyn
- Our similarities are different. -Dale Berra, son of Yogi
- Parting is such sweet sorrow. -William Shakespeare
- Procrastination means never having to say you're sorry.
- Referring to a book: I read part of it all the way through. -Samuel
- She used to diet on any kind of food she could lay her hands on.
-Arthur Baer, American comic and columnist
- Smoking is the leading cause of statistics.
- Some bachelors want a meaningful overnight relationship.
- Talking about a piece of movie dialogue: Let's have some new cliches. -Samuel Goldwyn
- Thank God I'm an atheist.
- The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep. -W.C. Fields
- The first condition of immortality is death. -Stanislaw Lec
- The good oxymoron, to define it by a self-illustration, must be a
planned inadvertency. -Wilson Follett
- The scene is dull. Tell him to put more life into his dying. -Samuel
- This page intentionally left blank.
- This report is filled with omissions.
- Triumph without Victory, The Unreported History of the Persian Gulf
War -Headline published in the U.S. News & World Report, 1992.
- Unqualified superlatives are the worst of all.
- We are not anticipating any emergencies.
- We must believe in free will. We have no choice. -Isaac B. Singer
- Went over like a lead balloon.
- We're overpaying him, but he's worth it. -Samuel Goldwyn
- Why don't you pair 'em up in threes? -Yogi Berra
- I must be cruel only to be kind. - Shakespeare, Hamlet
- It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu
speech. - Mark Twain
- We focus our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. - 2nd
- The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to
be. - Paul Valery
- A man can do what he wants, but not want what he wants. - Arthur
- Quote me as saying I was misquoted. - Groucho Marx
- The great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.
- Larry Tessler, Apple Computer
- Brain: an apparatus with which we think we think. - Ambrose Bierce
- You can observe a lot just by watchin'. - Yogi Berra
- We must believe in free will. We have no choice. - Isaac B. Singer
- In these matters the only certainty is that nothing is certain. -
Pliny the Elder
- Inform all the troops that communications have completely broken
down. - Ashleigh Brilliant
- There is only one difference between a madman and me. I am not mad.
- Salvador Dali
- When one has good health it is not serious to be ill. - Francis
- Often it is fatal to live too long. - Racine
- The first condition of immortality is death. - Stanislaw Lec
- I must follow the people. Am I not their leader ? - Benjamin
- It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling
exception, is composed of others. - John Andrew Holmes
- Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot; others transform
a yellow spot into the sun. - Pablo Picasso
- Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history that man can
never learn anything from history. - George Bernard Shaw
- I am not sincere, even when I say I am not. - Jules Renard
- Deep down, he's shallow. - Ronald Reagan
- I'm deeply superficial. - Andy Warhol
- Bill Gates, by the way, is a huge Mac fan and he has a warm spot in
his heart for the Mac platform, and it hurt him to see our customers
suffering. - Kevin Browne, General Manager, Microsoft Corp.
- In fact, the Weekly Leading Index forecast the last recession in
1990 in real time. - Lakshman Achuthan, Managing Director, Economic
Cycle Research Institute
- Spontaneous demonstrations will be organized... - George Orwell, in
- If he were alive today, he'd turn over in his grave. - Samuel
- Gentlemen, include me out. - Samuel Goldwyn
- Mr. Sinatra was admitted to the hospital after an uncomplicated
heart attack. - Sinatra doctor Rex Kennamer
- ''circumcision clamps may cause injury.'' -- FDA report to doctors,
Sept. 26, 2000 93
- You've no idea of what a poor opinion I have of myself, and how
little I deserve it. - W.S. Gilbert
- Trust, but verify. - Ronald Reagan 108
- You always tease us sometimes. - My daughter Abbi, at age 4
- ''Resume Legal Speed'' - Sign on I-70, near Columbus. (So they let
you go an illegal speed otherwise?)
collected by Johannes